Tuesday, March 8, 2011

In which the medical system here does not cause me headaches

So I've been getting these headaches (I've probably told you about them) that I was calling "Half-Migraines" because they were kind of half the pain of a regular migraine only twice the duration (thus essentially working out to be the full amount of pain once you carry the ones).

Except they're not migraines.

The neurologist tells me that they're caused by some kind of problem with my spine alignment/muscle tension/stress (which is all contained neatly in one single German word which I have forgotten now).  Anyway rather than just writing me a prescription for pain relievers and sending me on my way, I got a prescription for pain relievers AND a prescription for a series of massages and a special class to strengthen my back and improve my posture.  Massages and posture class that my insurance will completely pay for.

Granted, I pay for my own insurance as a freelancer, so it's still kind of me paying for these things.  But it's me paying for massages that the system says that I should get to have without feeling like I'm splurging on myself.

Between this and the fact that my doctor is just the nicest lady possible (references available upon request), I'm feeling pretty good about the health care here today.  Of course, that nice lady also said it's been too long (as in not ever since I've lived in Vienna) since I've had regular blood word done, and that I should probably do that as part of a general physical.  So unless there's a new way of drawing blood without using any needles, I might be changing my tune sometime next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment